Friday, April 9, 2010

My Final Paper For Public Health

Today's topic focuses on my final paper topic for Intro. to Public Health. I have honestly enjoyed this course so much, that it's really hard for me to pick one topic. As of now, I am a little undecided. Since time is running out, I am going to pick between the following topics: Injury Prevention, Obesity, or the US Health Care System. I think these three topics grasped my attention the most.

The reason why I liked injury prevention so much is because it's a serious issue in public health. A lot of people believe that injuries are accidents, and that's true, but in most cases these injuries can be prevented. Unintentional injuries account for 2/3 of the injuries in the country. These injuries are almost 80% of the years of potential life loss chart. Considering the US spends so much money, $406 Billion, on injuries I though it would be a interesting topic. Also, I found the different types of injuries to be very interesting. Injury is a population level problem and this problem is not obvious.

The lecture that focused on obesity by Dr. Kahan had my undivided attention. Although I paid close attention to every lecture, obesity was the most interesting. I would like to write about obesity, because I have close friends, family as well as friends of my family that are obese. This particular topic hit close to home for me, and I felt it was necessary to find out more about why and how this epidemic is growing so rapidly in America. Obesity in the US is rising every year. Based on information provided in lecture, 1 out of every 3 Americans are clinically obese, and 68% of people are overweight. Being obese increases the chance of a shorter life span as well as the increase in risk of death and also increasing the chances of type2 diabetes. While in class I was informed that obesity rates in children has sky rocketed since the 1980s which isn't a good thing. Considering the life expectancy for the generation now and the one after will decrease significantly.

Lastly, I thought about health care in the US. I've expressed my thoughts on the US health care system in my previous blog postings. But I cant emphasize how much health care means to me. I want to make a difference in the world by becoming a cardiac surgeon, but I cant help everyone who needs it because the lack of quality health care in the US. I didn't realize how many people were uninsured in America and it really brings tears to my eyes knowing that all the sick people in the US cant be healed or treated.

I really took these three topics to heart mainly because they either hit home really hard or for the simple fact that I really care about improving these things in the population.

Until next time, stay healthy.

Kiara

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your paper.

    R/
    Brad Hickey, MD, MBA

    ReplyDelete