Friday, April 2, 2010

My Public Health Experience

Today's topic focuses on my perspective of the first "half" of my Intro. to Public Health course. Throughout the course we discussed a variety of topics ranging from what public health is and health policy and worked our way to obesity. I honestly enjoyed each topic because there was so much information that I never knew. Each class discussion taught me something new, and although there were a few things I did know, learning the information a second was refreshing. My favorite class discussions were the ones that focused on health care and obesity. Based on the information we learned these are two of the biggest issues public health is facing. I enjoyed the health care lecture, because I have a sincere concern for the public. I love to help people and I really want to make a difference in the health field, and this cannot be done without access to quality health care. To think that there's a mother out in the world who doesn't have quality health care which means she has no access to vitamins and medicines needed during her pregnancy really gets to me. While in class, we talked about other countries having health care for their citizens yet they don't spend as much money as the US annually on health care. In the US 47 million uninsured Americans and yet we spend trillions of dollars on health care, all the while the rates continue to rise. As far as obesity being one of favorites, I really enjoyed learning about healthy eating, how pricing is associated with the government and how being overweight and/or clinically obese is harmful to our bodies.

One thing I found surprising about public health is that we spend more money than other countries combined but we have so many uninsured Americans. I could not believe it! I thought we were in better standings in terms health care. We have a numerous amount of doctors, physicians, and health care workers, there's no way our health care system is this bad. Right? No wrong. Considering these health care workers have to be paid, and since people are uninsured there is the problem. There is a big problem with health insurance and money for US citizens.

When I signed up for this public health course I wanted to learn more about the health care field and I did. Nothing has changed about my perception in regards to the public health field. If anything I am more interested into going further into the public health aspect as well as being a hearth surgeon. Taking this course has really opened my eyes to the public health field. I think that this course has made me more aware of issues the public faces and I am really interested in making a difference in the near future. I really am glad I took this course and I look forward to the other public health courses I will take while continuing my education here at Hopkins.

Until next time, stay healthy!
Kiara

1 comment:

  1. Please hold onto your passion for the field of medicine. Sometimes, it is all that can get you through a rough day.

    R/
    Brad

    ReplyDelete